Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow What's New?

I don't have a snow bike - yet. Scenes like this make me lust after one in a big way. I just have to work out a sensible plan of acquiring all the bits to build one. It won't happen this winter, but I hope to have one ready for next year. Winter is perhaps my favorite season, and I love to bike, so this will be a natural progression. A bigger garage is also in my future.....

I put my old mountain bike on the trainer to save wear and tear on my road bike. It's actually a better position for the road to nowhere rides. The weight loss is coming along as a result. I'm actually feeling a bit healthier than I have in quite some time. Our eating habit are slowly changing for the better, and as a result I have been able to cut back on that nasty fat storage drug, insulin.

So, you ask, why is insulin a fat storage drug? Well, take a bit too much, and you get hypoglycemic. To counter act this, you have to take on more carbohydrates to raise your blood sugar back to the safe range. Thus, you end up over doing the carbs, which turn to fat. Throw in some hard efforts exercise-wise, and you're on a roller coaster for days. Here's where the real dilemma comes in to play. Do I under dose and risk the damaging effects of high blood sugar, or go after normal sugars and risk going low. A conundrum, no doubt. I know many people can maintain a regular schedule of meals, exercise, sleep, and all of the other things in life, but I'm not one of them. A one hour ride can turn into four hours. Dinner may end up at eight instead of five thirty. I may not get that workout in that I was planning when I ate lunch.

Since there's no magic cure for diabetes, diet and exercise are the buffers against side effects. I have considered the alternative - weight loss surgery.  Gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, and lap band all so promise. I think, for me, the sleeve would be the way to go. The only thing in the way of me doing this is that my insurance only covers so much. The overages must be paid in advance, and I don't have several grand laying around to cover it. Another project to plan out, I guess.

   

No comments: