Monday, June 20, 2011

Nice Monday Ride

Got up early, coffee with Linda while reading the paper and news, out to my folks for some chain saw work to clean up wind fall around their house, lunch, the finally, out for a ride. And what a nice ride it was.


                                               Taking a rest on West Skyline Parkway
I took my 29er for a cruise on the Munger Trail and West Skyline Parkway, along with some side excursions on some single track. Not a lot though, as the trails are rather muddy and I didn't want to tear them up. The WTB Nano 2.1 tires don't leave much of a track anyway, seem to float over things more that dig in, but still grip very well. And roll very nicely on pavement.
I got this bike for the main purpose of riding gravel and two track, but the way it rides and handle single track was amazing. I cleaned some areas that I had to hike a bike before, climbed out of saddle up some steep grades without loosing traction, and made some drops with ease. Speaking of climbing, the close ratios of the 10x30 drive train make it almost impossible to be in the wrong gear. The quick, positive shifting, along with the lock-out fork really helped my confidence in getting up the tougher grades. Love this bike!
                                                   Morgan Park from West Skyline
I never got to the small ring, even though I almost did on some steeper pitches. I just stood up and dropped a gear and powered up. I was amazed that I could shift under power without that sickening grind you get with some other systems. I guess there is something to this new Dyna-Sys chain and cassette design Shimano has come up with. I think it would be the perfect system on a loaded touring bike, being very close ratio and super quiet.





Earlier in the day, we spotted two pheasants along the side of the road. I pays to carry a camera just for occasions like this. They sure are pretty birds. Plenty of deer with fawns around, too, so be careful on the roads and trails. Heading out back to grill pork chops for dinner. What a way to end a great day!




No comments: