Thursday, May 29, 2008

Back At It


I talked with the ortho surgeon Tuesday, got the OK to ride a little to test the knee. The weather has gotten too nice to sit around, so my wife told him I was a pain in the rear and thought I was moving well enough and had him call me. He said he knew I was a Belgian-style hardman, so go ahead and give it a go. So I did. Yesterday afternoon, I headed up the Munger trail for a short, easy spin. About 7 miles out with very little discomfort, mostly that false flat climbing, it was great. The ride back was a easy spin to keep it loose. Hardly any pain at all proves to me cycling is the best rehab for the knee. It was stiff and sore this morning, which is to be expected. I hope it keeps progressing this quickly, but if it doesn't, I've got an excuse for being slow. Ha Ha, I'll always be slow, but so what. At least I'm riding again.
On another health note, my blood sugar has stabilized to the best levels ever. No highs or lows in the last couple of weeks. I think my eating habits have slowly changed for the better, conscious portion control has become unconscious, as it seems I don't have to constantly think about what or how much I eat. Keeping the home and work refrigerators stocked with good stuff really makes for improved eating patterns. It's rubbing off on the rest of the family, too, which makes it easier for everyone involved. Now if I could get the regulars at the camp ground to cooperate, we would all be all be healthier....

1 comment:

I Am Woody said...

Glad you are on the road to recovery!