Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bored - Not!!

First, a shout out to Doug, the top local bike commuter/writer and inspiration to a lot of us who aspire to use the bicycle as a means to and end and not just a past-time. He took a nasty fall and an injury to his shoulder which will keep him off the bike for a while. Read his account here: http://mnbicyclecommuter.blogspot.com/

Several people have commented on my current layoff status. Such as "What are you going to do with all the free time?" or, "Aren't you bored?". Well, I'm not bored, and I don't seem to have any extra time. The time is reallocated. More time for domestic chores. Cooking and baking, laundry, home maintenance. Things I don't mind, or actually enjoy. No, I am NOT bored. There's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread, or chicken and dumpling soup to make those coming in the front door salivate. At least I don't think there is.

A great benefit of being laid off is that my blood sugar control is better. I can ride the bike or work out when I want. No "squeezing in" a workout. Better timing and control of eating.My A1C is at an all time low. And, it looks like our insurance is going to accept the Omni-pod as an in network device so I won't have to pay a $1000.00 to get it. That will be a major bonus. I was getting kind of down on the thought of insulin shots for the foreseeable future.

Now, if I could just will the lottery....

No comments: