- Could it be the other bike shops are selling a lot more bikes, thus people are more aware of the rides that they "sponsor"?
- Not enough or ineffective promoting of the various rides.
- Older riders have drifted away from the sport, and the newer riders are more interested in the MTB or urban scene than road riding. Newer riders may also be intimidated by group dynamics of riding in a bunch.
- The watering down of the group rides. Every night of the work week seems to have several options, thus without a bigger base of cyclist to draw from, less people per ride.
- The fear of not being able to keep up, though many rides are advertised as "no drop"
I'm sure there is more, but this is what came to mind. For me, it seems SWMBO always has found something more important for us, so I end up riding alone a lot and am hit and miss on the group rides. Any thoughts out there?